Deluxe has always been an industry leader in check security and DPX maintains those high standards. We work to provide the safest experience for the senders, recipients, and financial institutions involved in the processing of every check. There are a variety of security features inherent to checks as a payment method as well as features unique to eChecks. The combination makes eChecks one of the safest check products available on the market today.
- Security starts with access to the DPX web portal. All users logging into the Deluxe Payment Exchange are required to use Multi-factor Authentication to ensure access to their DPX account is accessible by them and only them.
- Setup of every DPX checking account goes through a rigorous, multi-stage security process before you can start sending checks. We have a dedicated team and extensive account authentication processes in place to monitor account setup to ensure that the checking account being added in DPX is linked to a bank account to which the requester is authorized to take this action, and that the requester is who they say they are.
- Check creation and retrieval takes place on our secure platform. Most check fraud occurs to items as they go through the postal system; by allowing senders to deliver eChecks directly to their recipients via secure email links, the number of hands an eCheck passes through is drastically reduced when compared to a traditional paper check. Additionally, since this all takes place on our platform no banking information is transmitted via email; only notifications.
- Within the DPX platform, all routing and account information is ‘masked’ until needed to process the check. In the case of recipients electing to use DPX Deposit Services, the recipient never sees the sender’s banking information as the transfer of funds is done behind the scenes. In the cases where the recipient chooses to deposit the item on their own, routing and account information is not visible until the point in time at which the check is printed.
- Our one-of-a-kind Payment Exchange Check Verification Service is available for all eChecks and Print+Mail checks written through the Deluxe Payment Exchange. This security offering is targeted to Financial Institutions to help confirm an item’s authenticity when they are presented with one of our checks. The verification services allows tellers to be confident that the check has been created by an authorized user and hasn’t been changed or altered since it was originally issued.
- Most financial institutions offer checking account holders a positive pay service. If you have positive pay, eChecks are compatible whether you’re providing check information to your financial institution independently or whether they partner with Deluxe to get a Positive Pay feed directly through our platform.
- Last but certainly not least, eChecks are processed by financial institutions the same way traditional checks are processed; this means all the safeguards your financial institution has in place to deal with check transactions (like treating each check as a numbered transaction, funds verification processes, and security holds) still apply to eChecks!
These features and additional fraud prevention processes ensures that DPX eChecks are more secure than traditional paper checks at every step of the process.